Where reading is a way of life

Friday, November 30, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare



GoodReads
535 pages, YA Paranormal Romance
The Mortal Instruments #5

Synopsis

What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series

My 2 cents


I did not love this book as much as the first 4 in the series.  That being said, it was still very good, and I enjoyed reading it!


I think what really bugged me in this book was Jace.  If you remember from the last book, he and Sebastian are now bound together.  And because of this spell, Jace no longer hates Sebastian.  In fact they get along like brothers.  Sebastian can even order Jace around and Jace doesn't care.  Very creepy!


I was also bugged a little bit by Alec.  His first love, and the guy whom he considers his brother is lost and in danger, and Alec is spending all his free time worrying about his and Magnus's relationship.  I understood how this might dominate his thoughts, but with Jace in such danger? It just seemed a little odd.  


I did however, like Clary a lot better in this book.  Again, she's not perfect, but she does what she does in this one for the right reasons.  She makes a pretty big mistake in this book (just like the last one), but this time she has learned her lesson and is able to make amends.


The plot and story itself is killer.  Lots of things are going on in this book, and its jam packed full of all kind of character development.  Its really interesting to watch how Clary and Sebastian are relating to each other, and how things turn out there.  We learn just how crazy Sebastian truly is!   And the writing is, as always, superb!


I give this book 4.5 stars.  If you are a fan of the series, you will want to read this one!




5 comments:

  1. I need to get back into the series. It's on my to-do list. Love Alec and Magnus but I can understand how ignoring Jace's danger would be annoying. Hopefully the first movie does well so they'll make the rest of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm so excited for the movie! I love Alec and Magnus too, but Alec was being pretty shallow and petty at times in this. He's not good as a jealous person! The things love make us do!

      Delete
  2. I skimmed your review just because I'm on City of Glass right now and don't want to be spoiled. But I'm really glad the fifth one is so good! It makes me want to continue with the series. I also can't wait for that movie *eek* I will be fangirling at the midnight premiere for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm so ready for the movie to be OUT NOW! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  3. I'm amazed that this series keeps getting better I look forward to the final book!! Far less action but still great I don't know how i can love these books more

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!