Where reading is a way of life

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lies by Michael Grant

Goodreads
447 pages, YA Dystopian
Gone #3
My rating: 4.5 stars

Synopsis

It's been seven months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

It happens in one night. A girl who died now walks among the living; Zil and the Human Crew set fire to Perdido Beach; and amid the flames and smoke, Sam sees the figure of the boy he fears the most: Drake. But Drake is dead. Sam and Caine defeated him along with the Darkness—or so they thought.

As Perdido Beach burns, battles rage: Astrid against the Town Council; the Human Crew versus the mutants; and Sam against Drake, who is back from the dead and ready to finish where he and Sam left off. And all the while deadly rumors are raging like the fire itself, spread by the prophetess Orsay and her companion, Nerezza. They say that death is a way to escape the FAYZ. Conditions are worse than ever and kids are desperate to get out. But are they desperate enough to believe that death will set them free?


My 2 cents

Lies is the third book in the Gone series. What I love so much about this series is really the characters, and the insane situations that Michael Grant comes up with. Everything is so original and intense, and that's always good in a dystopian! I'm going to take a minute and give a play by play on some of the characters in the story.

Sam Sam is probably my favorite character of the series. He is really the main MC, but he was missing for a lot of this book. Just like in the last story, he is still dealing with his powers, and now he's feeling very stifled by Astrid. But what I love about Sam is really the "Hero" factor he has going on.

Astrid Astrid has never been my favorite character, but she was useful to the FAYZ. Not in this story! She infuriated me with her big ideals. She just wasn't being very practical, and seemed to think that she was always right. I really hope her character improves in the next book!

Little Pete He, again, seems like such a bit character until the very end and you realize just how much power he has. I think if anything will get the kids out of FAYZ, it will be Pete!

Caine Caine is also mostly a bit part for this story, but we get a whole new set of characters and location out of it. Caine is still his big, bad self, although he is now starving and makes some big mistakes in this story.

Diana I have always really liked Diana. She's smart and savvy, and knows exactly how to ride on Caine's coattails. I had a lot of respect for her by the end of this story. 

Quinn Its taken three books, but I think Quinn is finally growing up! This is the character that has always driven me nuts, in just how stupid he can be at times! But not in this story! You know its bad when Quinn is the one to bring about order!

Edilio Edilio is one of the best characters in the FAYZ. He steps up again and again, and for a kid with no powers, I think that's huge! I think he gets taken for granted a lot because of it.

Lana Lana is another one of my favorites, but she is absent from a good chunk of the story. She's always waiting in the wings to heal people, but I think she's having a breakdown even worse than Sam's! 

Albert Albert hasn't changed at all, and he is starting to come across as a little greedy in this book. I think its his way of dealing with chaos, in trying to make order out of it. He actually is a lot like Astrid, except much less emotional, and therefore, I think he's more effective.

Zil I was really hoping Sam would kill him in this story. He is such a waste of space! I don't want to give away any spoilers of what happens with him, but I was very pleased with it!

Mary Poor, poor Mary. I always feel so bad for her...she was kind of a wreck even before the FAYZ, and she flies under the radar a lot. She does so much for all those little kids, and she's falling apart at the same time! Astrid does something to her in this story that I think is unforgivable!

Orsay Orsay puzzled me the most in this story. I didn't really know what she was all about, and if her prophecies were real, or some trick of the Darkness (we know the Darkness can't really be gone, right?).

Nezerrah Again, she just kind of appeared, but I sensed she had an ulterior motive for everything she did.

Howard I think Howard finally shows his true colors in this story. He's always been Orc's sidekick, but he is finally getting a taste of power. I didn't really disagree with him, but he could have gone about things better.

Dekka Dekka is another favorite character of mine, and she is so kick ass by the end of this story!

Pepper I don't really remember Pepper much in the earlier books, but she comes into this story like a bull! I think she is going to have some major power plays coming up! 

Brittany Brittany comes up out of the ground, and a few of the powerful characters know she's around, but they are afraid to tell the kids. They fear her immensely, so she spends a lot of time alone, seeing her dead brother and talking to him. She's really pretty creepy in this book!

Brianna and Computer Jack make a few appearances, but they are suffering from some sort of flu, so they are bed ridden for a good chunk of the book. Orc is also around some, but only mentioned a few times. Same goes with Taylor. And what about Drake? Is he really dead? 

Lots of things go down in this book, like the previous books, and the ending sets thing up nicely for the next book. We still have a lot of questions to be answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!