Where reading is a way of life

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce


Goodreads
328 pages, YA Paranormal (werewolves) Fairy Tale Retellings
Fairytale Retellings #1
My rating: 4 stars

Synopsis

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?
My 2 cents
This is the second retelling I've read this year of the story of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big, Bad Wolf.  I really liked this retelling a lot.  I was able to make the comparisons, but it truly felt like a brand new story to me.  I think a lot of that had to do with the characters.
Scarlett, Rosie, and Silas were a great little group of comrades.  Scarlett and Rosie are sisters, and fiercely loyal to each other after a werewolf attack that killed their grandmother and scarred Scarlett for life.  I got a kick out of their names--both shades of the color red!  Very clever!  They are as different as night and day, though, and conflict of course arises from it.  Silas is Scarlett's fighting partner and best friend, but he and Rosie also start to fall in love with each other during the story, which made for an interesting variations of relationships between the three!
There is a lot of action and violence in this story.  These are NOT good werewolves!  They kill young girls with a passion.  The descriptions of them were grotesque.  I would not want to happen across them in a dark alley!  The pacing of the story was very good.  I couldn't put the book down!  I was very invested in the characters and the final outcome.  
The big twist was not really a surprise for me, I was able to figure it out about halfway through the story.  But it was still a good ending, and it is nice to have a "Happy Ever After," especially in a fairy tale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!