Where reading is a way of life

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Sun Dwellers--3rd book in the Dwellers series by David Estes

Goodreads
370 pages, YA Dystopian
The Dwellers #3
My Rating: 5 stars

This book had my heart racing the entire last half of the story.  I have never read the end of a book as fast as I did as the Sun Dwellers!  I just had to find out what was going to happen!  Check out my review below!


Fun fact:  Tristan and Roc get the pleasure of playing fashion designer and dressing Trevor while he's unconscious! 


Synopsis

With those she's closest to dying around her, Adele embarks on a secret mission to the Sun Realm to assassinate the President. Along the way she'll uncover secrets about her relationship with Tristan that she might not be ready to face. 

Tristan has a secret, too, one that's been eating him up inside ever since he met Adele. Will he reveal all, and risk the loss of friendship and love at a time when he needs it the most?

At the same time, Adele's mother, General Rose, must lead her soldiers into battle to face the sun dweller army in the hopes of holding them off until Adele can complete her mission. Can she outlast the strength of President Nailin's elite fighting force?

There's only one truth in their world: someone must die.


My 2 cents

The Sun Dwellers is a major roller coaster ride of shivers, tears, and emotions!  I was so ready for this ride, even though I had no idea where it would take me!  It took me up, down, and even upside down sometimes, making my stomach drop.  And after it was all over, I wanted to ride it all over again!  Good news for me, there are more books!

This book is the final efforts of Adele, Tristan, and their friends to assassinate the President.  They know this won't be easy, and they may die in the attempt. But they also know it must be done for any chance of peace to exist in the Realms.  

Helping them on this final journey is Roc, Tristan's best friend; Tawni, Adele's best friend; and Trevor, who is part of the rebel army, and a good friend of Adele's mom.  They all have something to lose.  For Adele, its her only chance for freedom, for herself, her mother and her sister. The theme of family lives on in this book!  Tristan also wants to be free from his father's sadistic ways and help his fellow citizens.  Roc is mainly there for Tristan, but he also has something to prove--exacting revenge for his mother.  Tawni has lost just about everything dear to her, and also wants her freedom.  Trevor is all about equality, and maybe seeing the President's head on a stick.

So we go on another journey, this time into the lion's den.   Even though there is almost constant action going on, we still get lots of little moments between characters, which is what really makes the story for me.  Adele is very conflicted through the first half of the book, which brings us back to the beginning--why are Adele and Tristan so drawn to each other?  

In the previous books, we got a little comic relief from Roc and Tristan's friendship.  In this story, though, Roc and Adele bond a little bit, and Trevor kind of takes over on the comic front.  This one doesn't have as many laughs--these kids are in a dire situation, after all!  

The ending was the most gripping and nail-biting part of this ride.  There were some very scary moments, and of course, lots of dark moments.  But in the end, I was more than satisfied with the conclusion to this trilogy. 

To wrap it all up, this book is crazy good!  The characters, the setting, the plot, and all the details were excellent!  Everything made complete sense to me, and left me wanting more!  So, its on to the next book for this girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!