Where reading is a way of life

Friday, December 28, 2012

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins



GoodReads
453 pages, YA paranormal (Demons)
The Sweet Trilogy #1

Synopsis

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


My 2 cents

I loved this book way more than I thought I was going to!  The characters were very intriguing, as well the story line.  Anna is the true good girl.  She made me think a little of Sandy from Grease.  Kaidan is the ultimate bad boy.  But extremely hot!  Anna can't help being drawn to him.  Opposites do attract!  And it seems the more time they spend together, Anna becomes a little more naughty, whereas Kaidan becomes a little more good.  

I loved the friendship between Jay and Anna.  Jay is her best friend, and has an alcoholic grandfather, so he has an urge to drink.  Anna helps keep him away from substance abuse, which is a good thing, because he turns from the nice guy to a jerk fast when he drinks!

I thought it was really interesting how this book centers around sins, especially substance abuse.  I think its meant to be a cautionary tale for teens; at least, I hope so!  There is a lot of drinks and alcohol mentioned in this book, as well as sex.  A lot of the partying scenes were so believable, so I think teens in general will love that.  I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have a disclaimer on it (meant for older readers kind of a thing), because it does get pretty intense! It never crosses over to a R rating though.

This is a totally new take on the whole demons/angels kind of thing, and I really enjoyed it!  I can't wait to read Sweet Peril!  4 stars!

2 comments:

  1. I got this for my birthday back in May and still haven't gotten to it yet but it's on the top of my 2013 reading list! Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!