Where reading is a way of life

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass


GoodReads
327 pages, YA Dystopian, Fairy Tale
The Selection #1

Synopsis

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


My 2 cents

First of all, I'd like to talk about the genre this books comes from.  It is labeled as dystopian, and the plot itself suggests that--but it actually felt a little more like a fantasy or fairy tale to me, which is why I labeled it as such.  The story does take place in the future, but it feels really old school--with princes, castles, castes, musical entertainment--there really wasn't very much technology at all.  

I really liked the concept for the story.  Kind of a dystopian style "Bachelor" idea.  The contest is televised, also like the show.  But while the story started off ridiculing this kind of a society, by the end it was hard to remember that this was something we were supposed to hate.  There wasn't enough mentioned about the society, and the wrongs this kind of an environment makes.  There was a little from time to time, but mostly from America's POV, and not enough IMO.  I'm hoping that gets remedied in the next book.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the characters, the story, and the world the Kiera Cass creates for us.  I especially loved the prince.  I was swooning right along with all 35 girls!  I do hope he does have some character flaws, otherwise its not a believable story at all! 

The ending was an abrupt one, leaving us with a pretty big cliffhanger for the next book.  I'm noticing that is becoming a trend in YA, one that I'm not particularly fond of.  I liked a good ending, with some open ends for the next book, but one that takes it time to wind things down a little.   I'm not really sure what rating to give this book; since I really did enjoy reading it I'm giving it 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!