Where reading is a way of life

Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Maze Runner by James Dashner



GoodReads
374 pages, YA dystopian
The Maze Runner #1

Synopsis

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.


My 2 cents

I literally have chills right now after finishing this book!  This is one of the most chilling dystopians I have ever read.  I can't believe the ending!

I spent the first half of the book not really enjoying the story much at all.  A lot of that came from the fact that the reader is kept in the dark just as much as the main character, Thomas.  Thomas only knows his first name.  That's it.  And while the rest of the boys in the Glade know a bit more, they are reluctant at telling him anything.  Apparently, he must learn everything for himself.  I found this a bit frustrating, but it did make for a very suspenseful read!

Around the middle of the book, the action really picks up, and the boys in the Glade start to learn things.  We don't really learn what's happening until the last couple of pages, and even then we don't know everything!  

I thought the characters were amazing.  Some of them were downright crazy!  I suppose, if you're thrown in a huge maze that doesn't make any sense and you don't have a clue why you are there, it might make anyone a little crazy!  Besides Thomas, my favorite character was definitely Newt.  He was a very smart guy, who could read a lot into a situation.    

I have no idea how James Dashner came up with such a bizarre scenario, but it worked for me!  I can't wait to read the rest of the series!  5 stars on this one!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot about The Maze Runner series & I think it's about time I read it. Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will try to respond as much as possible!